You may not be familiar with ISI Web of Knowledge, available through the OU-Tulsa library and also through Bizzell Library. This is a useful science database that also offers some interesting features. In this database, you can
- search grant activity, including finding out who is funding research at specific institutions
- find out who is citing whom, and locate a cited reference
- see journal impact factors: what are the important journals in your field?
- see tables of contents of scholarly books and journals
- use a sophisticated search interface to search science journals (and more!), some back to 1900.